OUTDOOR ADVENTURE PROGRAMS – Click here for our important policies.
(Open the PDF and print a copy for yourself to review carefully.)
River Guide Training is here!Peterson Outdoor Rec is offering a River Guide Training Program for the 2023 river season, and we want YOU to be our next river guide.
If you are interested, we will be holding a free informational meeting that will be held from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at Outdoor Recreation (830 Tinker St. Bldg. 640 Peterson SFB, CO 80914), where we will be going over exactly what River Guide Training is, what you’ll be learning, and what our plans are for the 2023 season.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone looking to become a river guide or to get their start in the Outdoor Recreation industry.
For details or to sign up for the meeting, contact Joshua W. at 719-556-4867.
Disclosure – The AF is dedicated to the full implementation of federal laws mandating equality of opportunity for NAF employment. Recruitment and hiring of NAF personnel is based solely on the principle of merit and qualifications. Employment at Peterson SFB under Nonappropriated funds (NAF) is subject to satisfactory completion of all pre-employment regulatory requirements.
- Must be age 18 or older.
- Must be able to swim.
- No weight limitations.
- No prior rafting experience necessary.
ALL INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Insider Tips on River Guide Training
There are so many things I enjoy about being a river guide that it’s nearly impossible to decide what I like most. Teaching people about the river and the local geology, telling hilarious jokes (the ones I think are funny anyway), developing relationships with my team, enjoying cool water on a hot summer day, and having the coolest office in the world are just a few reasons why being a raft guide can be one of the most rewarding job.
RIVER GUIDE QUALITIES:
- Someone who loves and is knowledgeable about the outdoors will make an excellent river guide.
- Someone who is enthusiastic and is focused on customer care.
- Someone who is eager to learn, and willing to take constructive criticism.
- And, of course, someone who reacts well in stressful situations.
There are also many different personality traits that go into making a top notch guide:
- Being a natural and confident leader is important so a guide can take control over their group when needed.
- Someone who has an outgoing personality will have an easier time engaging with their boaters because half of the job is being an entertainer.